“For life we need three things only: nourishment, love, and peace.”
The saying goes….. You are what you eat! Have you ever really sat down to think about the meaning of those words, which are seemingly simple but in essence filled with so much truth? You are not literally going to turn into a broccoli or fat juicy steak or a Simba chippie. But you can eat yourself either healthy or sickly.
Very basically, every one of your gazillion cells are replaced roughly every 7 years. Your new cells are made from the food you eat. So what you are aiming for is to feed your body with the most nutrient dense food in their most natural state that you can source to ensure that down the line you remain healthy, youthful and filled with vitality. The challenge therefore is to be conscious and mindful of what you feed your body!
With every new year, we have grand resolutions of going on a “diet” – (the word itself is evil… it is die with its I’s dotted and t’s crossed). But where do we start!! A million offerings claiming to be the best. Banting, Paleo, Vegetarian, Atkins, The Zone Diet, Weight Watchers, Juicing, Raw Food Diet and the list goes on and PRESTO before you know it, you are stressed out and overwhelmed (See our tips on how to BREATHE) and you roll into the Drive-thru of KFC and the likes.
What we are looking for is a sustainable lifestyle change.
Anything where we feel deprived which creates a mentality of lack, will sooner rather than later bring out the rebel inside and you will not only go back to how you ate before, but probably a bit worse as you have to make up for what you lost out on.
Many of us are emotional eaters and unless you deal with the reason, you will not be successful in the long run. Part of the journey into growing into the best you can be, is to deal with all past emotions and to search for your why. Your why for everything in life. It is not an easy journey, but it is so worth it.
Breakfast, like our grannies used to teach us, is the most important meal of the day. Food is fuel for your body and you want to make sure you have enough oomph for the day – that includes ensuring that you have stable blood sugar levels, that your hormones are all happy and that your brain is firing on all cylinders in a clear state and not stuck in candy floss land.
Remember – Food is powerless unless you give it power.
So positive lifestyle changes then add some mindfulness to it with a dash of gratitude and you have a winning combination.
We, Daniel and I, are all about simplicity. Less is more…. So our aim, with our coaching and all that we passionately pursue in our private life as well, is based on the 80/20 principle. We want to get you eating healthier and mindful and make it affordable yet not make you feel deprived.
NOURISH…….. THE PLAN
We have created a grocery list and our aim is to keep to foods that are readily available and versatile. You can make eggs for instance in a million ways. We are not aiming for perfection or being painfully accurate in counting calories. We are looking at laying the foundation for a sustainable lifestyle change.
- Don’t buy anything with a list of ingredients on. Real food does not have ingredients.
- Fresher is better but if you cannot get to your green grocer daily – frozen veggies is ok.
- You want to eat protein, good carbs (there really are good carbs) and good fats.
- Cold drinks, even the green or light versions are a no-no.
- Drink alcohol in moderation – which is 2 or 3 glasses a week. Whiskey or dry red wine is preferable.
- Add fresh herbs to your food and stay away from dried herbs and spices. You will be surprised how nice food actually taste in their natural state instead of drowned in some kind of sauce or smothered in spices. Add at least 5gr of Pink salt to your meals or water daily.
- Eat your food peacefully, so that you can be mindful of each bite – the taste, the aroma. Eat away from the TV or your smartphone and enjoy the company that is eating with you. This is just as important!
- Check out your portion sizes. Your protein you are looking a hand size roughly and the thickness of your palm. Good Carbs not more than a cup full and then add healthy fats. Opt for a smaller plate – that way you will dish up less and your eyes will still see a plate full.
- Keep snacks and treats outside of your house. Rather go enjoy them at your favourite coffee shop when you take some time out. If they are at home, they will only serve as a temptation for when you had a rough day or your emotions are all over the place.
- Preparation is key to success. What works for me is to have the same breakfast for a week. That way I can bulk prep and just take out, heat up and eat. It is saves energy from having to think what will be for breakfast the next day. You could rather use that thought for something more important. PS You do know we have only about 5 great thoughts available to us each day – so don’t waste it!
NOURISH…….. THE GROCERY LIST
|PROTEINS (about 150gr=1portion – 1 portion is 30gr of nett protein)||FATS – (1/4 of your smaller plate) – if you are hungry always add more fat||CARBS – (cooked – eat raw where possible to avoid loss of nutrients – ¼ of your plate and not more than a cup full)|
|Large Egg||MCT Oil (Lifematrix)||Spinach – raw|
|80/20 Beef Mince||Coconut Oil||Kale|
|Pork Chop with bone||Salted Butter||Brussel Sprouts|
|Chicken Breast||Calamata Olives in brine||Green Beans|
|Raw Salmon||Extra Virgin Olive Oil||Peppers Red / Green|
|Tinned Tuna in Brine||Full Fat Cheese||Mushrooms|
|Lamb Chop||Full Fat Goats Cheese||Tomato – Cherry|
|Beef Steak||Full Fat Yoghurt / Fresh Cream||Cauliflower / Brocolli|
|Beef Chuck||Cream Cheese / Cottage Cheese||Berries – Blue/ Strawberries|
|Oxtail||Seeds/Nuts – raw but sprouted – sunflower seeds, pistachios, pine nuts, hazelnuts||Fruit – Papaya, Lemon, Grapefruit|
|Pork Rashers||Coconut Milk / Cream||Celery|
|Chicken /Beef Livers||Avo||Asparagus|
|Biltong – in moderation||Almond Milk (unsweetened)||Sweet Potato – with skin on|
|Organic Pea Protein – see labels for portion size – aim is 30gr of nett protein||Seeds/Nuts – raw but sprouted – Almonds, chestnut, sesame, poppy, hemp heart, chia, flax||Herbs/Spices – Ginger, Garlic, Cinnamon, Cayenne pepper, Turmeric, Chillies, Parsley, Basil|
|Organic Vegan Protein – see labels for portion size – aim is 30gr of nett protein||Almond Nut Butter (Oh Mega)||Fermented Food (gut health) – Kimchi, SourKraut, Fermented Beet|
|Macadamia Nuts – Raw||Aubergine|
|Macadamia Nut Butter (Oh Mega)||Rice – Brown/Basmati|
|Tahini Butter (Oh Mega)||Salad Greens|
HOW TO USE THE LIST ABOVE
Our bodies are designed to function in an alkaline state. Furthermore, for our bodies to function optimally, we need to separate our acidic and alkaline food intake. This assists the gut in breaking down the food and not have it fermenting in our colon. If your body is to acid, it causes infections and fungus – ie, gout, arthritis, colds and flu, yeast and bladder infections, Alzheimer’s and cancer to name a few.
So, italic with italic and normal with normal. The italic list is your acid foods and drinks like black coffee, wine and other alcohol goes with this list. The normal list of food is your alkaline foods and most important to ensure you are at optimal health. Drinks like Herbal Teas, Water, Blended Green Grasses as well as Unprocessed Apple Cider Vinegar
Eat 1 meal of “italic” foods and 2 meals of “normal” foods daily. For the “black” Foods, you can combine it to make a smoothie and that works best taken at night. It is not so heavy on the digestive tract, and this will help with improving your sleep as well as ensuring your body absorbs more nutrients.
DAILY MORNING COCKTAIL
You want to start off your morning with a bang, so this cocktail is designed to flood your body with anti-inflammatory’s, blood and gut cleansing, and alkaline goodness straight off the bat.
½ tsp ginger, ½ tsp turmeric, ¼ tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar and 100ml of lukewarm water. Bottoms up!
3 DAY DETOX
To kick start your new lifestyle, we recommend you do a 3 day detox. This will prepare your body for the new better way of thriving and not merely surviving. You will have 3 smoothies a day for 3 days – and trust me your gut, liver, colon, skin, libido and boss will love you as your energy and mental clarity will also improve.
Ice blocks and water, 2 organic eggs or 1 portion pea/vegan protein, handful of kale or spinach, handful sliced cucumber, ½ Avocado, sprouted flax and almonds, 2 tbsp olive oil/ coconut oil, 1 stalk celery, fresh mint, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, ¼ cup papaya or grapefruit